NETWORK OPERATIONS – COURSE DURATION: 1 month
Rwanda Internet Community and Technology Alliance (RICTA), in partnership with Internet Society (ISOC) is organizing an Online Course: Introduction to Network Operations UNIX/Linux, Networking & Domain Name System (DNS).
This introductory online course is targeted at novice/entry level UNIX/Linux users pursuing careers in Network or System Administration. The course is practically oriented and guides the trainee step by step on how to install and setup a working UNIX server, connect it to the Internet and then run a Caching Domain Name System (DNS) server in a Virtualized environment. The techniques covered in the course are applicable in real world environments to setup Internet- ready caching DNS servers. The course was developed over 9 months with assistance from several experts from within and out of Africa. It is a foundation course that provides trainees with necessary skills to allow them to progress to more advanced topics in the future.
- Learn how to install a UNIX/Linux operating system in a virtualized environment.
- Develop competences in key networking topics – IPv4 and IPv6.
- Install third party software on a UNIX or Linux platform using common softwaremanagement tools.
- Work with the UNIX/Linux shell and becoming comfortable with the command lineinterface.
- Edit files in UNIX/Linux and create simple scripts.
- Understand the role of the Domain Name System (DNS) in the operation of the Internet.
- Build and activate a caching Domain Name System (DNS) server.
- Learn about the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and the Request for Comments(RFC) process.
Who Should Attend?
Novice/entry level network engineers and system administrators who are interested in learning about UNIX/Linux, Networking and DNS. The course is targeted at upcoming network engineers and system administrators from Research Education Networks (RENs), Network Operator Groups, Universities, ccTLD registries or Internet Service Providers.
This course is comprised of nine modules consisting of:
- Installing a UNIX/Linux Operating System in a Virtual environment
- Networking concepts – IPv4 and IPv6
- Installing 3rd party software on a UNIX or Linux platform using Software managementtools
- Working with the UNIX/Linux shell
- Editing files in UNIX/Linux and creating simple scripts
- Building and activating a caching DNS Server
- Understanding the role of DNS in the Internet
- Introduction to the IETF and Request for Comments (RFC)
- Course Duration: 1 month
- Starting Date: 1st March 2021
- Registration Link:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cVjGF7sIQy7uDDoLzxn6btMvBDYCIIVG5OEnz-PuR0k/edit
- A telegram Group Account will be created for all participants to meet and discuss
- Facilitators will be available once/twice a week through the Telegram Account torespond for any inquiries that participants might be having.
- Certificates of Completion will be available after you meet all the criterianecessary to complete the course.